Halogen Free TubingHomepage » News » Halogen Free Tubing
Halogens are the five elements Fluorine (F), Chlorine (Cl), Bromine (Br), Iodine (I) and Astatine (At). These elements are highly reactive and readily combine with metals to form halogen compounds, which are considered to be hazardous to the environment. Various industry and legislative environmental initiatives are driving the elimination of halogen compounds.
In addition, when materials containing halogens burn, they often emit smoke that is both toxic to humans and corrosive to equipment. Halogen-free materials may be specified for use in applications in which combustion products are of significant concern, including:
- Enclosed areas occupied by humans (such as subways, trains, planes)
- Areas having sensitive or critical electronic equipment (such as communication centers, security systems).
Why use Halogen-Free Tubing?
- Environmentally Friendly Material
- Enhanced Fire Safety (smoke emitted has low toxicity)
- Reduced Fire Damage (smoke emitted is minimally corrosive)